Forum Discription: iSaveWeb for iPhone / iPad / iPod touch Support forum
URL: www.maximumsoft.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=984
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 8:58pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.54 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New features request
Posted By: maximumsoft
Subject: New features request
Date Posted: May 12 2009 at 4:14pm
Since iSaveWeb is a brand new application, we’re expecting new feature requests from users that will guide our development.

Please reply to this message with your requests.

Replies:
Posted By: mamante
Date Posted: June 05 2009 at 10:17pm

While I think the current iteration of the iSaveWeb app is excellent,  I do have some suggestions that I feel could make the app a true "killer app" for portable web downloading on Apple's mobile devices.

Here are some ideas that I have come up that I would love to see added to the app. While I am not sure if these are technically feasible, I am putting these ideas out there in the hopes that they might be explored for future versions of the app.

Download webarchives to desktop mac

It would be most convenient to download web pages to your iPod touch or iPhone on the go and then later transfer those web archives to your Mac or PC for viewing with Safari on a desktop computer. This seems like it could be handled with a WiFi sync.

View source code of a webpage

Another handy feature would be the ability to view the source code of a downloaded page. This would be useful to see how a page was constructed as well as what assets were not downloaded or are missing.

Viewing images and media files downloaded right on ipod touch

Another handy feature would be the capability to see the downloaded images and media files from a iSaveWeb web archive right on the iPod touch. This would make it handy to see the contents within any files that have been downloaded so they can be saved to the device locally for use outside of the app (i.e. - saving images from a web archive to the photo library of the device.)

Adjust levels and parameters of assets to be downloaded

Many desktop web downloaders provide adjustment settings where you can choose what kinds of files to be downloaded as well as how many levels deep you want to download a website. Having some of these basic parameter settings in iSaveWeb for the iPod touch and iPhone would really extend the usefulness and flexibility of the app as a portable web downloader.

In closing, I have been pleased to use your product and share it with others. Finally, if you need any help in beta testing or want further input about the development of any of these features I have suggested here, please feel free to contact me. I would love to help and see further development of this app.

Posted By: Kirill
Date Posted: June 12 2009 at 10:47am

Thanks a lot for vary interesting suggestions.
We’ll be working on including requested features in next iSaveWeb releases.

But first, let me ask a few clarifying questions.

Download webarchives to desktop mac

Do you want to see iSaveWeb desktop version that can sync downloaded pages with iPhone / Ipod touch?

Implemented in version 1.2, it can share files with any desktop browser (Mac and Windows) over WiFi.

View source code of a webpage

Can it be just plain source code text, or you have to have HTML tags highlighted in different colors?

Viewing images and media files downloaded right on ipod touch

Each downloaded page might have several dozens (up to hundreds) associated images that get downloaded by iSaveWeb. Some of these images could be just web designer helpers (images with 1 pixel size, different dividers, etc.) that might not be interesting for our users.
Any suggestions how to filter such "web design" images (by file size, picture size, etc.)?

Implemented in version 1.2, tap and hold image (when viewing saved page), this will allow either save image to Photo Library, or email it.

Adjust levels and parameters of assets to be downloaded

Yes, we’re well aware that "Many desktop web downloaders provide adjustment settings", because we have implemented them in our WebCopier products :).
Due to iPhone / iPod touch nature (not possible to run third-party application in background, CPU isn’t as fast, as on desktops, etc.) only limited set of settings can be implemented, like:
- Switch to download / skip images;
- Allow to ignore images hosted on other servers, not where the web pages is hosted;
- Switch to download / skip CSS and JavaScript files;
- Switch to parse / ignore CSS and JavaScript files;
We don’t think it would make sense to implement the “deep level”, because it will take significant amount of time top download multiple web pages (and all associated images, .css and .js files) in one shot.
Would you agree?

Version 1.2 has additional settings that give finer control over what will be downloaded.

Regards,

-------------
Kirill K.
MaximumSoft Corp. Support Team

Posted By: yearwood
Date Posted: June 17 2009 at 2:07am
Thanks for the great app on my iPhone.
Here is my request.
1. I want the full screen view when rotate my iPhone to see my saved webpage.  
2.There is a problem when i save other foreign language pages like traditional Chinese, the title of the page can not display very well. It becomes random code.

I set my language in traditional Chinese , Japanese, English. Result is the same.
example:
https://www.ezhotel.com.tw/leader/

Thanks!!

Date Posted: June 18 2009 at 1:14pm
Thanks for your feedback.

1. I want the full screen view when rotate my iPhone to see my saved webpage.
We'll try to put this feature in version 1.2.

2.There is a problem when i save other foreign language pages like traditional Chinese
Can you give as website URL so we can check what's happening?
Also, what are the language settings on your iPhone (Chinese or English)?

-------------
Kirill K.

Posted By: iteis
Date Posted: August 23 2009 at 10:15am
Thank you for useful applications. I, iPhone 3GS 3.0.1 uses. a problem with the web site of the Japanese. Loading HTML data is displayed correctly. But when the wrong character is displayed. Wrong cases Example "http://robin.jp/" Good cases Example "http://www.9129.co.jp/" I analyzed the HTML source code. "<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="ja">" source code that is written will be displayed correctly. And has not been written, does not display correctly. Please improve. Thanks

Date Posted: September 29 2009 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by iteis

Wrong cases Example "http://robin.jp/" Good cases Example "http://www.9129.co.jp/"

Version 1.2 should save the "wrong case example" correctly.

-------------
Kirill K.

Posted By: soenedi
Date Posted: October 20 2009 at 6:19pm
Would it be possible to arrange downloaded pages in folders and subfolders instead of having one long list ? 

Posted By: ngc457
Date Posted: October 29 2009 at 1:19am
Text search within a saved page?

Posted By: senghong79
Date Posted: November 30 2009 at 4:02am
After trying a few other options, I find that iSaveWeb is the only that could save and render correctly my pages which had a lot of images (200+ maths equation per page).

Only thing missing for me is full browser in landscape mode. Hope it can be there in the next update (already bought the app). Thanks.

Date Posted: December 24 2009 at 9:43am
Originally posted by senghong79

Only thing missing for me is full browser in landscape mode. Hope it can be there in the next update (already bought the app). Thanks.
Implemented in version 1.3, full screen browsing in Landscape mode and after you shake the device.

-------------
Kirill K.

Posted By: jaredmcg
Date Posted: December 28 2009 at 5:50pm
Hello, I work for a small computer consulting company and your app might have some real potential for us, but not in its current form.

We want to be able to cache a secure hosted wiki with confidential information to our iPhones that is hosted at pbworks.com

We need to be able to 'refresh' our downloaded websites on a daily basis, automatically.

We also need to be able automatically crawl a page and download subpages that our page links to. There is already an iPhone app that does this, called Browse Later. Problem with their app is that it has issues with login authentication.

Date Posted: December 29 2009 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Kirill

Implemented in version 1.3, full screen browsing in Landscape mode and after you shake the device.

Thanks very much!

Date Posted: December 31 2009 at 1:42pm

Good suggestions... they can lead to a big discussion. J

Based on our experience (over 10 years) creating offline browsers, we believe that iPhone is NOT meant to be a website crawler, and here is why.

Originally posted by jaredmcg

We need to be able to 'refresh' our downloaded websites
on a daily basis, automatically.

iPhone doesn’t allow non-Apple apps to run in background, that’s why nothing can be done "automatically". You will have manually open an app and make some taps.

We also need to be able automatically
crawl a page and download subpages that our page links to.

In order to download only pages you are interested in, you must “exclude” unwanted pages. You can’t just rely on rule "download subpages that our page links to" because your page is linked to many other pages (which are not yours), like main pbworks.com. I guess that Browse Later will spend hours downloading pbworks.com (and other marketing pages linked to it), before it will get your pages.

Please take a look at our WebCopier desktop offline browser and see how many options it implements in order to let users automatically download exactly what they want.

Do you want to see such complex app on iPhone? I guess not...

Because of all these issues, we implemented in iSaveWeb only single page saving.

If you need more pages, open them one by one, either in Mobile Safari or iSaveWeb browser, and save them one by one. This will give guarantee that our app saves exactly what you want, and in fastest way.

To accommodate your needs, I’d suggest the following:

- Try our desktop offline browsers – WebCopier or WebCopier Pro.

- They would allow you to download only the pages you want, and can do that automatically.

- Then, in a few weeks (after we release new version of iSaveWeb), you’ll be able to upload downloaded websites from your desktop directly to iPhone, and use iSaveWeb to browse them offline on your device.

- Does this sound like a good plan? Any objections or comments? J

-------------
Kirill K.

Date Posted: December 31 2009 at 1:47pm

Thanks very much!

You are welcome.

FYI, the best way to say "Thanks" is to write a positive review in AppStore. J

-------------
Kirill K.

Posted By: jaredmcg
Date Posted: January 05 2010 at 10:45pm

- They would allow you to download only the pages you want, and can do that automatically.

- Then, in a few weeks (after we release new version of iSaveWeb), you’ll be able to upload downloaded websites from your desktop directly to iPhone, and use iSaveWeb to browse them offline on your device.

I'd be wiling to give it a try, but how would the process of uploading downloaded websites from your desktop to the iPhone work?

Date Posted: January 06 2010 at 3:38pm
Here is the plan:
- Use WebCopier to download website;
- 'Export' downloaded files into Zip archive;
- Open iSaveWeb app and start 'Sharing' files;
- Go back to your desktop, open web browser and enter Url shown on iSaveWeb 'Share' screen;
- Currenly, iSaveWeb only allows to Download its files from iPhone to your desktop;
- New iSaveWeb version will also allow to Upload files from desktop to iPhone;
- So, you'll need to Upload exported Zip file from your desktop browser to iSaveWeb app;
- After that, use iSaveWeb to browse site offline.

Implemented in version 1.4, which is available in AppStore today.

-------------
Kirill K.

Date Posted: February 03 2010 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by soenedi

Would it be possible to arrange downloaded pages in folders and subfolders instead of having one long list ? 

Sorry, missed this one.

Are you asking to "arrange downloaded pages in folders" when you "Share" files and access them in desktop browser?

-------------
Kirill K.

Date Posted: February 09 2010 at 7:36pm

I'd be wiling to give it a try, but how would the process of uploading downloaded websites from your desktop to the iPhone work?

Implemented in version 1.4, which is available in AppStore today.

-------------
Kirill K.

Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 8:09am
Would like to request a faster way to scroll down/up a very very long page.  Or at least a quick way to go to top of the page. ( I save wiki pages which have table of contents at the top). Thanks

Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 8:02pm

Would like to request a faster way to scroll down/up a very very long page.  Or at least a quick way to go to top of the page. ( I save wiki pages which have table of contents at the top). Thanks
Could you give the page URL for testing?
Also, are you using iPhone/iPod or iPad?

-------------
Kirill K.

Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 8:30am

After trying a few other options, I find that iSaveWeb is the only that could save and render correctly my pages which had a lot of images (200+ maths equation per page).

Implemented

-------------
Kirill K.

Posted By: Jimjim
Date Posted: June 26 2010 at 6:39am
It would be nice if you can safe website usernames and passwords like Safari.

Posted By: keithrl
Date Posted: September 25 2010 at 3:21pm
Would it be possible to add our own categories to save pages to? For example a computer saved web page could be pasted in PC or medical in to Health category. Just out of interest I am unable to type into this page on the iPad as no keyboard comes up. I have had to type this via my PC.

Regards

Keith

Posted By: lightshaft
Date Posted: September 27 2010 at 11:58am
One thing that is really lacking is the ability to refresh the pages. Once downloaded, it is impossible to get the latest page.

Posted By: Ruben.cc
Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 6:59am
First off all: great product for a great price. Really like the easy way iSaveWeb handles the way sites/pages are saved and grouped in various ways. Only have two tiny remarks, which can be considered "my two cents" on this browser. ;-)

Loading time. I really can't understand how many pages take just a few seconds to load and then take up to 30 seconds to save. How can a page that is already displaying (thus loaded) take like what seems like forever to load again and save?

Bookmarks. There are some sites on which I regularly want to save pages and therefore I use iSaveWeb as my default browser to visit those. It would be nice to have a bookmark function in iSaveWeb so I don't need to enter the URL's manually every time or collect those sites on some online bookmarking site.

Also a little sidenote on this terrible forum software (which has nothing to to with iSaveWeb but might be useful to other iPad users). By default you can not reply to topics using the iPad, because the WYSIWYG editor doesn't seem to like the iPad. You need to disable the WYSIWYG editor in your profile first before being able to reply. Would be nice if it would be disabled by default when using a mobile browser.

Posted By: KenBotwinick
Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 10:55am
I would really prefer the option to save the pages as the native .webarchive format as opposed to a zip file of stuff...

Also, dropbox integration would be great so I could save research right into project folders that I have shared there.

Posted By: Dufu
Date Posted: December 17 2010 at 6:17pm
Great app, and could be even better with few useful features:
1- search text
2- arrange in folders by custom categories
3- option to activate web links rather than local links in saved pages.

Also need to solve some few display errors sometimes in certain languages (French....)

Thanks

Posted By: archron
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 3:11pm
New features:
iSaveWeb Pro, nice to have pages organized by domain, but since we can edit the Title of a page (I do this routinely to make a recognizable string appear in the Pages list for a Domain), it would be nice to be able to sort saved pages by Title (within a Domain). Oldest or Newest orderings aren't particularly useful if I've visited and saved the pages out of their published order.

Date Posted: January 21 2011 at 7:37am
I would like to request for itunes file sharing, that is, to upload and download the zip files through itunes file sharing as an alternative to wifi. That will be much more convenient and able to overcome the 40MB limit easily. Thanks

Date Posted: January 21 2011 at 2:40pm

I would like to request for itunes file sharing, that is, to upload and download the zip files through itunes file sharing as an alternative to wifi. That will be much more convenient and able to overcome the 40MB limit easily.

Just FYI...

The file upload through iTunes File Sharing is currently implemented in another our app Sites-2-Go.

Implementation of the same feature in iSaveWeb app has some technical difficulties.

-------------
Kirill K.

Posted By: whynot
Date Posted: April 10 2011 at 6:04am
I would like to save a mini web site off my company's web site for use in the field. iSaveWeb is OK for straight web pages, but, it does not work when refering from a HTML page to, say, a page saved in PDF.

Sites-2-Go will read a PDF, however, it only has plain vanilla HTML support (no javascript). And, Site-2-Go shows all of the files as a flat table.

We really need a product in between. Somethine that will save a intranet web site (down to, say, 3 levels), plus all of the associated PDF, Excel, and Word documents. Then, display it using HTML5 compliant web browser (e.g. Safari)and seemless move back and forth between HTML and PDF pages.   

Date Posted: April 20 2011 at 11:12am
Originally posted by whynot

Sites-2-Go will read a PDF, however, it only has plain vanilla HTML support (no javascript). And, Site-2-Go shows all of the files as a flat table.

Sites-2-Go, and iSaveWeb, DO support JavaScript. Just make sure that your script works when it's loaded from a local drive, not from a web server.

FYI, Sites-2-Go, and iSaveWeb, internal browsers are based on mobile Safari, and it's Safari who shows PDF forms as flat file. To confirm that, just open your PDF form in Safari on your iPhone / iPad and see that it's.

Originally posted by whynot

We really need a product in between. Somethine that will save a intranet web site (down to, say, 3 levels), plus all of the associated PDF, Excel, and Word documents. Then, display it using HTML5 compliant web browser (e.g. Safari)and seemless move back and forth between HTML and PDF pages.

FYI, the problems with Forms (PDF, Excel, Word, etc.) don't have anything to do with HTML5. Mobile Safari is HTML5 complaint, but just doesn't support forms.

You can check another our app Forms-2-Go that supports HTML forms.

-------------
Kirill K.

Posted By: porterfoster
Date Posted: July 31 2012 at 6:51pm
Please add DropBox access or another way to upload zip files.

Some apps let you upload through iTunes.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.54 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2008 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com